Who We Are
We Support & Promote African Literature
We are a Literary Organization with the goal of promoting African Literature through the provision of expressive platforms for writers and communities.
Our CORE Values: Creativity, Innovation, Integrity, and Leadership
OUR APPROACH: How we promote literature
COAL’s Book Readings is an event of readings, literary discussions, interactions and book review with a guest author. Book Readings is aimed at encouraging the reading of African literature by making these available. It is also aimed at boosting the reading culture in our immediate community of readers.
- To inspire intelligent and inspiring discussions
- To create an opportunity for a one on one mentorship experience with published authors.
- To create a market for authors
- To create publicity for African writers and their works
- To promote the act of reading African literature
- To make different African literature available to a wide range of readers
COAL’S Open Mic is an event of performances in genres such as spoken word poetry, short story readings and music performances from anyone who needs the space. Open Mic allows the audience and literary professionals to constructively critique their literary and creative works. An additional package that comes with COAL’s Open is the Civic Engagement.
- To create a one-on-one mentorship platform for writers and performance arts.
- To inspire intellectual and inspiring discussions
- To give all writers of different genres an expressive platform.
We are passionate about civic engagements that bother on social impact through the execution of community focused projects. However, COAL is interested in Creative Education and Gender issues, we notice social problems and move to solve them in these areas. COAL SCHOOL CLUB
- The “Catch them young” mantra is as old as time itself. The school club tries to improve the reading culture amongst students in the hope that this would translate into a deep discipline for reading and learning for pleasure. It also hopes to expose these students to other avenues of expression e.g. spoken word. Our model in achieving this is through the training of trainers across schools in the adoption of the COAL model for teens across schools. COAL only plays a supervisory role and provides resources to help every school club maximize the potentials of a range of literary activities put together by COAL. Our advocacy is for spoken word poetry to be included into school curriculum as this will;
- Build the creative writing skills of students
- Build confidence in teens and young adults
- Develop the oratory skills of students
We promote creative education through workshops on different genres of literature; and through fun activities for individual writers done by resource persons. Explore the social and economic importance of writing. The long term goal for COAL, is to have a creative institute where all aspects of literary education is taught by greatly developing creative skills of youths in the society, thus help them sustain the art through financial rewards.
We help manage the artistry of poets in performance and spoken word poetry by sourcing for financially rewarding platforms for them, thereby exposing them to bigger platforms and opportunities for their artistic growth and personal development.